Monday, November 3, 2008

Rolls, Rolls and more Rolls

Tah Dah


Well, I have finally perfected the roll recipe. Even though it has taken several tries with some of the rolls looking more like Hocky Pucks! One batch looked great, but tasted like the oil I used, so this is the best one I have come up with. My girls said I have to post exactly what I do, so here it goes.
Feather Rolls
4-5 Cups White Flour (I use 4 3/4 cups total)
2 Tlbs Saf-instant yeast (at room temperature)
1 Tlb Dough Enhancer
1/4 Cup Nonfat Dry Milk
1 1/2 Cups Warm Water (120 to 130 degrees)
1/4 Cup White Sugar or Honey

1/3 Cup Oil (melted butter)
2 Large Eggs (at room temp, or I let them sit in hot water for a few minutes to warm them up)
2 tsp Salt


Mix 2 1/2 Cups flour, dry yeast, nonfat dry milk, and dough enhancer in large mixer bowl. (I use my Kitchen Aid mixer, thanks Kelly) Add water, oil, sugar or honey. Mix well for 1 to 2 minutes. Turn off mixer, cover bowl and let dough sponge for 10 minutes. (So it looks like pancake batter) Mix eggs in a small bowl and add to mixture, add salt. Turn on mixer. Add remaining flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until dough begins to clean the sides of the bowl. (I add 2 1/4 cups flour) Knead for 5 - 6 minutes. Dough should be very soft and manageable (almost sticky) Stiff dough produces heavy, dry rolls. If dough stiffens while mixing, drizzle a little warm water over dough as it kneads. Dough may be used immediately or covered and stored in the refrigerator for several days. (I let the dough set in the covered bowl for about 10 minutes)
Lightly oil hands, (I use melted butter) Shape into rolls and place in an oiled pan (spray with Pam)(I use my Lasagna pan and make 20 rolls) Cover and let raise until very light, at least double in size. ( About 30 -45 minutes if room is warm)
Bake: 350 for 15- 18 minutes (Don't overbake, they should be very light brown)
* I get the Saf-instant yeast and dough enhancer at the Preparedness Store, corner of Yellowstone and 1st Street

3 comments:

gina said...

Yeah! I could eat 6 at a time!

Trish the Dish said...

oooo - I hope you're making these for Thanksgiving! Can't wait!!!

Dixie Wise said...

YOU DID IT! They are so so so awesome!